Custard meal is pretty simple but a lot of people often wonder how they can make a custard meal that is free of lumps.
Watery Custard meals is also a big problem for many people.
People usually add evaporated milk to our custard meals so the main requirement is that the custard is thick after preparation so that when the milk is added, a perfect consistency will emerge. But if the custard is watery already, adding milk will result is a complete liquid which is not fit for consumption.
Due to the above problems, some people have given up on this necessary breakfast meal. But not to worry, you will get all the tricks of making the perfect Custard right here.
What you will need to make Custard
- Custard Powder
- Water (Hot and Cold)
- Evaporated Milk
- Sugar (to taste)
- Put some custard powder into a good size bowl. Custard rises during preparation so you should use a bowl big enough to contain the custard meal in its risen state. If in doubt, use a very big bowl, with time, you will learn which quantity can comfortably fit is which bowl size.
- Start mixing by pouring a small quantity of cold water into the bowl of custard powder. Stir and add some more water till you have a medium mix with no lumps.
- When nearly ready, put a kettle of water to boil. Make sure the water will be enough. It is better you boil too much water than not have enough water.
- Just before the water boils, stir the custard mix very well because some of the custard may have settled at the bottom of the bowl. If not stirred well, this is the major cause of lumps when you start making the custard.
- Once the water boils, pour it slowly but steadily into the bowl of custard and stir at the same time. Pouring the hot water slowly and stirring at the same is very important because this prevents lumps from forming.
- Once you see the custard setting, stop stirring and reduce the flow of water you are pouring till the custard has completely set.
- Set the kettle aside and stir the custard very well. If it is too thick for you, you can add more hot water. But be careful else your custard will become watery. And remember that you will still add liquid evaporated milk.
- Add evaporated milk and some sugar to taste and stir everything to the way you like it.
The custard is ready. Hurray